I will teach a class on basic mat cutting and show you how to frame!
You spend the entire year taking pictures, so now it is time to finish the process of taking pictures by learning how to present them and also use them for Christmas gifts!
Prepare for Christmas: give your own art for your friends and family!
Learn how to to mat and frame your pictures and use them as gifts!
I will talk about and show you how to:
* Choose an image, from many, to be framed
* How to pick colors for your mat
* Decide on how big of a mat you need for a picture
* The mathematics before cutting mats: measuring for mat cutting
* Cut mats with a mat cutter
* Add depth to your special picture with enhanced matting
* Assemble mats to the picture and pick a back to the picture
* See how an image is put together in the frame
If you would like to participate, please call me 719.963.0481 to sign up and show up with the following materials:
* A variety of prints sized 5x7, 8x10 or 16x20 to be matted. I will help you to pick ONE to be matted.
* One or two full mats (32x40), you can get it at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.For this class, please bring only white or black mat.
* Artist tape that is acid free:
* One or two full sheets foam board (32x40) (Hobby Lobby and Michaels have them as well)
* a plastic bag to take your matted image home or clear bags if you already have them at home. If you want to buy clear bags for future use, these are the recommended sizes:
for framing a 5x7 print in an 8x10 mat: http://www.clearbags.com/8-7-16-x-10-1-8-premium-crystal-clear-protective-closure-bag-214x260-100-pieces-pr108.html
for framing an 8x10 print in a 11x14 mat: http://www.clearbags.com/11-7-16-x-14-1-4-premium-crystal-clear-protective-closure-bag-291x362-100-pieces-pr11.html
for framing an 11x14 print in an 16x20 mat: http://www.clearbags.com/16-7-16-x-20-1-8-premium-crystal-clear-protective-closure-bag-417x512-100-pieces-pr16.html
* a box of blades for the mat cutter:
I will spend about 2 hours talking and showing how all the matting and framing process works. The other 3 hours are hands-on practice.
You will see how mats are cut, have the opportunity to cut one or more, and leave the class with one matted image at least. If you bring a frame, I will help you to frame one image. If we have extra time, you can cut more mats :)
Best of all, you will understand the thinking process behind the matting and framing, and will learn how to apply the knowledge consistently.
We will take turns using the mat cutter: while I show some people how to measure their print and calculate the mat opening, someone else can use the mat cutter, and someone else can be in a different step of the framing process. I will help you the best I can.
You will also leave with some hand-outs to remember some of the techniques later.